Winter Weather Tips
The safety of our customers and communities is our highest priority. That’s why at all times, including when severe winter weather events related to snow and ice occur, we strongly advise customers to adhere to the following guidelines associated with natural gas meter and appliance venting safety:
- Never use natural gas appliances, such as ovens or the burners on a stove, to heat your homes or businesses.
- Make sure your heating system, water heater and any other natural gas appliances are serviced and inspected annually by a qualified licensed professional.
- Do not use any defective natural gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) professional.
- To ensure the safe, proper operation of natural gas appliances, such as a furnace or water heater, and to prevent the potentially hazardous buildup of carbon monoxide within your home or business, ensure that outdoor vent openings and air intakes are not obstructed by snow or ice.
- If you smell natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home or business, immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 or our emergency number (1-877-572-3342) from a safe location.
- Seek medical attention immediately if anyone in your home or business experiences possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
- Know where your natural gas meter is located.
- Following a weather emergency, ensure the gas meter is visible and the area surrounding the meter is free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used after the storm to clean up a location may damage the meter if it is hidden.
- Exercise caution removing snow or ice from your natural gas meter assembly. Use your hands or a broom, not a shovel, to brush away snow or ice from your meter and regulator. Never kick or hit your gas meter or its piping with a hammer or any hard object to break away built-up snow or ice.
- If a natural gas meter is damaged or underground gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 or our 24-hour emergency response number (1-877-572-3342) from a safe location.
- If you smell the rotten egg odor that is often associated with natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present, immediately leave the affected area and call 9-1-1 or the 24-hour emergency response line (1-877-572-3342) from a safe location.
- Never try to identify the source of a leak yourself.
- If the odor of natural gas is present, do not use a telephone or cellphone in the area of the odor. Do not turn light switches on or off. Do not operate any appliance or do anything that might cause a spark, such as lighting a match.
- Heavy snow and ice may weigh down power lines and tree limbs, causing them to fall. If a natural gas meter is damaged or underground gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 or the 24-hour emergency response line (1-877-572-3342) from a safe location.