Sniffy Says: Smell Gas? Act Fast!
Remember, If you Smell Gas, Act Fast!
Hi, kids! I’m Sniffy. As a skunk, I’m an expert in stinky odors—like the “rotten egg” smell that’s added to natural gas. That yucky smell lets you know if there’s a possible natural gas leak.
And you know what? If you smell that stinky rotten egg odor, you’ve got to act fast! This means don’t delay—get away! Leave the house or building.
Remember these tips when you leave:
- Don't use or touch anything electrical, like flipping off light switches or turning off the TV— things Mom and Dad would normally have you do before you leave the house.
- Don't even use a cell phone!
- Don't look for the leak.
Just go outside and then tell an adult or call us at 877.572.3342 or 911.
Try these fun activities to learn more about natural gas:
- Print my picture and color it
- Learn about natural gas in this word search
- Help me find my way out of this maze
- Ask your parents to help you with some amazing science experiments
Teach your whole family about what to do if they smell the rotten egg odor of natural gas. Everyone should know what to do if they think they smell a possible natural gas leak at home, school, at the mall—anywhere! Leave! Then call 877.572.3342 or 911 for help.
For students receiving credit for class participation, visit the Safe Digging Champion page!