Carbon Monoxide Awareness
If you believe you have carbon monoxide buildup in your home, call us immediately: 1-877-572-3342.
When properly operated and maintained, natural gas appliances and heating equipment are safe and efficient. But if your heating or water heating equipment is not properly operated and vented, products of combustion, including carbon monoxide, could back up into your living space. Carbon monoxide comes from the incomplete combustion of such common fuels as heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane and natural gas. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that can cause illness and even death when not properly vented. Improper venting can be caused by:
- Chimneys or vents blocked by leaves, bird nests, debris or heating residue
- Malfunctioning or improperly installed equipment, such as an open blower compartment door
- Heating equipment improperly enclosed by paneling or other structures
- Improperly vented equipment in over-insulated homes
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Buildup
- Stuffy or stale air
- Very high humidity
- Fallen soot from your chimney or draft hood
- A hot draft coming from your draft hood
If carbon monoxide has been backing up into your living space for some time, you may experience carbon monoxide poisoning. While extremely rare, carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms may include:
- Dizziness and weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stinging eyes
- Heart flutters
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Keep area surrounding your gas appliances clear from clutter or trash.
- Carbon monoxide detectors may be helpful in your home or business. But remember, a carbon monoxide detector should never be substituted for using equipment safely - which includes having your heating and cooking appliances inspected yearly by a trained professional.
There are many carbon monoxide detectors on the market. Regardless of brand, the detector you purchase should meet current UL standards and must be installed and operated according to the manufacturer's instructions.